Are You Dealing With Chimney Leaks? Call Old Hat Chimney Service!
An unfortunate part of owning a chimney is that water is constantly, doggedly trying to get into your system. That’s why so many safeguards, from your chimney’s flashing to your chimney’s cap and crown, are figured into the chimney’s design.
Regular maintenance including annual chimney inspections, along with some smart preventative measures, can help keep water largely at bay. But if a chimney leak does pop up, Old Hat Chimney Service technicians can find the cause and make the right repairs. With us on your side, your chimney system and home will be dry again in no time.
Where’s My Leak Coming From?
Water is tricky, since it can make its way into even the smallest areas of weakness — so chimney leaks tend to be fittingly tricky, too. Water can get into a variety of areas in your chimney system — often several at once — so it takes experience and a thorough inspection to find all the problems and the best solutions. But there are a few places that commonly fall prey to water’s attacks:
- Flashing – Installed around the chimney at the roofline, flashing is prone to a few issues: caulking can pull up, metal can pull off or tear, and rust can eat holes into the metal.
- Chimney Crown – Cracks in the chimney crown, which is located at the top of your flue, commonly lead to leaks.
- Chimney Cap – A damaged or missing chimney cap can allow water to easily access your flue.
- Masonry Joints – Bricks and mortar absorb water naturally, but as those materials begin to wear, they can start sucking up water like a sponge, leading to further damage and serious leak issues.
Some Of The Chimney Leak Repair And Prevention Work Old Hat Chimney Service Provides:
- Waterproofing Chimney & Masonry – Our technicians can apply a waterproofing sealant that was specially designed for masonry chimneys. This sealant works to prevent water from wicking into the brick and mortar, while allowing the masonry to still expel vapors, as it should. This can greatly extend the service life of your masonry!
- Flashing & Custom Crickets – Flashing, when properly designed and installed, will keep water from getting into your masonry and home where the roofline meets the chimney. If water pools considerably around one or more sides of the chimney, we can also custom-build a cricket — a ridge that can divert water away from the chimney toward the gutters, where it belongs.
- Prefab Chase Covers, Pans & Shrouds – Your prefabricated chimney system needs protection from the effects of water, too — and Old Hat Chimney Service can install or replace a chase cover or pan or an eye-grabbing chase shroud to provide that protection.
If you have a chimney leak, call Old Hat Chimney Service at 770-529-2654, or click here — our NFI- and CSIA-certified technicians can find your problems, and solve them.