Quiet and Dangerous

Quiet and Dangerous

What Carbon Monoxide Can Do to You

Have you experienced problems with your health lately — particularly with breathing, blurry vision or memory loss? Do you experience these symptoms only when you are at home? There are many causes, but one not to dismiss is the possibility of carbon monoxide coming back into  your home because of improper draft.

What is carbon monoxide poisoning anyway? According to a medical dictionarycarbon monoxide poisoning is a potentially fatal acute or chronic intoxication caused by inhalation of carbon monoxide gas, which has an affinity 210 times, that of oxygen for binding with hemoglobin and thus interferes with the transportation of oxygen and carbon dioxide by the blood.

Simply put, carbon dioxide is stronger and easier to get into your red blood cells compared to oxygen (the element that the body needs more of). What usually happens in the body is this: carbon monoxide vies with oxygen for binding sites on hemoglobin (this carries oxygen from the lungs to all the major tissues and parts of the body) Now, oxygen cannot carry itself on its own so if carbon monoxide will fill the hemoglobin molecules, tendencies are the tissues in our body will start to deteriorate and eventually die because of deprivation of oxygen.

When you spring ahead and fall back each year, check the batteries in both your carbon monoxide detector and your smoke alarm.
When you spring ahead and fall back each year, check the batteries in both your carbon monoxide detector and your smoke alarm.

Carbon monoxide is a by-product of combustion and it has no smell or taste. This is why its flu-like symptoms are usually mistaken to be just a mild flu or sickness. The truth of the matter is, diagnosing carbon monoxide in the body is difficult and you would need a second opinion from other doctors and pulmonary specialists to confirm their findings. But like any other sickness or disease, mild forms can be treated and doctors can eventually take carbon monoxide out of your body.But if you happen to have more exposure to this dangerous gas, it can cause bigger problems like heart disease, brain damage and major problems in your urinary tract. Prolonged exposure can be fatal. Because the gas is tasteless, odorless and invisible, you must have a working detector in your home to catch it.

There are many ways to prevent this from happening and one, in particular, is to make sure your chimneys and fireplaces are checked, inspected and cleaned regularly. A yearly inspection and clean-up will do. The expert team of professional sweeps from Old Hat Chimney Service will definitely help you with all your chimney concerns.  We offer the best service to the people in Metro Atlanta since 1992. We’re certified by the Chimney Safety Institute of America and the National Fire Institute.